Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Not Your Typical Conference Call...



So I'm no fan of conference calls. But when I saw that CANCERcare.org was holding free telephone education workshops over the phone, I thought hey, why not? I am a big fan of rolling out of bed, sipping my coffee in pajamas while browsing the morning headlines online. Dialing into a workshop over the phone couldn't be easier.

I signed up and am scheduled to listen into CancerCare's Fifth Annual Cancer Survivorship Series: Living With, Through and Beyond Cancer. The call will take place on Tuesday, June 19th, from 1:30 to 2:30 pm Eastern Time. All you have to do is register here: http://www.cancercare.org/get_help/tew_signup.php and select the workshop on the bottom of the page (I missed that step and a real person actually contacted me to let me know to add the workshop! cool...)

This is the program outline:
FINDING HOPE AND MEANING AFTER TREATMENT
The Survivor Perspective
Overview of Meaning and Hope in the Context of Cancer Survivorship
Why Do People Search for Meaning and Hope?
What the Research Tells Us About Meaning Making and Hope in Relation to Health Outcomes
How to Balance Staying Realistic and Being Hopeful/Optimistic at the Same Time
A Few Thoughts on the "Tyranny of Positive Thinking"
Concluding Recommendations

And these are the featured speakers:
Susan Leigh, BSN, RN, Cancer Survivor, Cancer Survivorship Consultant;

Keith Bellizzi, PhD, MPH, Program Director, Office of Cancer Survivorship, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, NIH, DHHS

Suzanne Lechner, PhD, Scientist, Braman Family Breast Cancer Institute, UM Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami

Hope you can sign up! If you can't they do have archived phone calls you can listen to. I haven't checked them out but let me know if you do! Log on to: http:// www.cancercare.org/tewarchives

1 comment:

weezy130 said...

That is great that you are providing us with all these resources. We need this. Let us know how the conference call goes. I will look into the archives.