Friday, June 15, 2007

What the heck is Sarcoma?



I think we've all have tried to wrap our brains around the idea of what Sarcoma actually is. Well, there are many kinds that start in different parts of the body. The word sarcoma is derived from the greek meaning "fleshy growth". And a growth it is! Sarcoma is a very aggressive form of cancer. The tumor started in Marco's right calf muscle, which had to be removed with surgery. The tissue surrounding the tumor also had to be removed and the area now requires daily radiation treatment to kill off any lingering cancer cells. There are many types of sarcomas. Learning about them can help us find ways of beating this cancer and helping Marco through this.

Here are several types of the cancer and the site where they often originate:

Fibrosarcomas: Cells in fibrous tissue.
Leiomyosarcomas and rhabdomyosarcomas: Muscle tissues
Liposarcomas: Fat
Angiosarcomas: Blood vessels
GIST - gastrointestinal stromal sarcoma: Organs of digestive system
Stromal sarcomas: Supporting tissues
Kaposi’s sarcoma: Skin
Ewing's sarcomas: Commonly bone

2 comments:

weezy130 said...

Very informative!! This is very important information.

Anonymous said...

I had a very large retroperitoneal
leiomyosarcoma removed with large margins and my right kidney. Five years later I developed another leiomyosarcoma and had it removed from my back.
Now I have a sarcoma in my calf between the tibia and the fibia muscles. I have already had radiation and chemotheraphy to treat my leiomyosarcomas. I do not know what my next steps should be. I also have several nodules in my lungs. Any suggestions?