Saturday, September 10, 2011

Brain Tumor?

Marco's tumor is located in the left occipital lobe
It's been very hard to come in here and try to write. I know many of you have a lot of question one being....What happened?
Labor Day weekend was coming up and the plans were to buy Matthew a boogie board and go back to the beach. Matthew had, had such a great time with his cousins for Oceans of Hope we thought it was a grand idea. Momma M and Lisa had a surprise party for Machini waiting for him.
We packed our things and left to HP to spend the weekend on Friday 9/2. As we were driving down the hill, Marco looked over and just said he had a headache. "But, I don't know if its your country music your playing or the Phantom of the Opera the kids have playing in the back seat." But neither of them were loud, I found it weird because Marco has never complained about a headache before.
By the time we got to Mommas M, house in HP, Marco had a full blown major headache. As soon as the hello's were said he sat down on the sofa and was squinting his eyes of how bad the headache was. He thought his next dosage of medicine would take care of it.
We left to Leezy's house where were staying for the weekend. Saturday morning Marco woke up fine, no headache, nothing. We all left to the beach, but couldn't get in to use the boogie board because it was hazardous conditions. We still enjoyed the beach and watched the surfers riding the waves. We left after a couple of hours back to Leezy's house.
Sunday morning, again Marco woke up fine and we were commenting on how weird that headache showed up and was gone. He continued to be fine all day till, 3am on Monday morning.
Marco was tossing and turning, so I asked what was going on and he said, "the headache was back, but with a vengance." I asked what his pain level was? "5," that is a 5 out of 10 pain level. As I am looking at him in massive pain, I know it is more like a 8-9. Marco was rubbing his forehead, he got up out of the bed to go to the bathroom and he starts knocking into the bed and then the wall. "Are you ok?!" I asked him and he replied, "the walls are moving in here."
After taking a shower, Marco starts to yell my name so I rush over there and he tells me he lost his peripheral vision in his right eye. I thought he was kidding, but when I looked at his face he looked concerned. We went to Mommas for breakfast and to spend the day. By the time we got to her house Marco was in so much pain. I had mentioned to him that I was going to call Dr. Trisal, or make an appointment with the eye doctor to have his eyes checked, but because it was Labor Day weekend they were all be closed. I decided to write Dr. Trisal an e-mail, I explaining all of Marco's symptoms and if COH could do something or wait till the next day to make an appointment with his eye doctor. Dr. Trisal replied right a way and said Marco needed an MRI of the brain and to take him in the next day. If his symptoms got any worse to take him into the ETC. WHAT?!
Why would he want an MRI of the brain, I just thought it was weird at first, but then I got scared and my heart started to race. I was hoping that Dr. Trisal didn't think there was something and I was hoping he was doing it out of precaution. We left after breakfast that Monday morning because Marco was not looking good. By the time we got home, the headache was full blown, he was rubbing his head and trying to find a way to alleviate the pain. He was rubbing so hard he left red marks on his forehead. There was nothing I could do....the medication wasn't working and Marco wanted to wait till the next day to go in.
After a bad night, morning finally came and so I was getting ready, Gianina said she was going with us. I went to drop off Matthew at school, when I got back, I noticed Marco was on the phone and just said yes and he hung up. So he turns to me and says it was Dr. Trisals nurse, "I told her I had a severe headache," so I asked if he mentioned all the other symptoms and he said "I told her I have a severe headache," he paused, looked at me and said, "that is all I can remember." "What do you mean that is all you can remember,you just hung up with her," I told him. "Call her back," he says "I can't remember what we talked about." I thought that was weird, so I called her back and left a message to get in contact with me as soon as possible because his symptoms were getting worse now he couldn't remember what just happened.
So I told Marco lets go maybe they can see you sooner by the time we get down there and I can talk to the nurse on the way down the hill. As he was getting up from the bed he started to throw up. Panic wanted to kick in, but I kicked it to the side and said let go. Got everyone in the car and left. Half way to the freeway Marco said he felt like he was on a boat for DAYS and throws up again. He blamed it on my driving, but I thought it something else. Carrie, Dr. Trisal's nurse, called me just before we were getting on the freeway and said she wanted Marco to go to the lab, go to get his MRI and then instructed me to take him to ETC for observation. Okkaaaayyyy....labs done, they call him in for MRI and the nurse allowed me to go in with him, I stood right behind the wheel chair where he was sitting. (Yes, we had to take Marco into COH on a wheel chair, you know how much pain he was in if agreed to sit in a wheel chair) The nurse starts to ask Marco yes or no questions, but when it came to answer "have you had surgery and how many?" All Marco did was rub under his surgery area and say "left...left," I jumped in and said yes and mentioned all the surgeries and were it was located. Then Marco says oh yeah. That left me worried and hoping even by this time that it wasn't what we both thought it could be. Finally the MRI was done. I wheeled him into the ETC where they were waiting for him. The nurse told us Dr. Chow would be seeing Marco, I was surprised. She said Dr. Chow would be filling in for Dr. Trisal who was in surgery. After a little wait, I could hear Dr.Chow down the hall way and I whispered to Marco that he was coming. Marco says, "Dr. Chow how are you?" "Good Mr. Mendez," when he turns to acknowledge me I knew, I could see it in his face. My heart fell....he came in and asked How his fishing was going and then the conversation was about their fishing stories and Dr. Chow takes his phone out and shows Marco the fish he caught, I began to relax and thought it was just me and the look he had was nothing.
Then he says, "okay, now I am coming in for Dr. Trisal and I have to read the results of the MRI to you." WHAT! I knew it....Dr. Chow is the barer of bad news. (I like to say I have a LOVE and HATE relationship with the man. LOVE him for all the chemo cocktail he gave Marco to shrink the previous tumors. And for standing up and fighting for Marco on the sidelines. And the HATE that I can read his face when he comes carring bad new cause I can read him like a book.)
He tells Marco that the reason he has been having severe headaches is because there is a tumor the size of a golf ball in his brain. And it needs to come out, he goes on to say we would meet Dr. Jandial to see when the surgery would take place. After a while, they ordered medication to take his pain away and gave him anti-seizure medication. By the time we left Marco had no more pain. They scheduled brain surgery, told us to take precautions in case of seizure, and gave Marco medications to bring down the swelling of the brain. There were some pre-op test done and have had to return to COH for further testings before surgery. Will post


Lisa said...

I am thinking about you guys and praying for you. Sarcoma is a beast! A lady who has been so encouraging to us always finishes her notes to us with the words "Finish Strong". I'm asking God to give you strength. hugs to you from Alabama :)


Anonymous said...

Mnfn bs. Knowing what was coming didn't even make sense when it should have. Why there. Why. Why. But then like my momma said... at least its somewhere operable. And then it gets reasonable but still makes no damn sense. Its like oh you can take my punches, well here's a swift karate kick. Wtf man. So enraging, but a true cry of anything can't come out. And what to do...nothing. and what to say... because how you feeling Marco is getting old, I know the answer. And I know when he lies. Its all a bunch of nutty nonsense. I am so thankful to city of hope and their awesome people. They are all truly amazing people that have given hope to us all because they walk the walk and talk the talk, no nonsense. Here is hoping that the next spell of sea legs is from you coming off a boat with actual fish marcito. Love u guys. Toodles.

Luis said...

I got a brain sarcoma diagnosed in the summer of 2011. I underwent surgery and the tumor returned two months later in the same area. Then I underwent radiation therapy and cyber-knife in the fall of 2011. The tumor was in remission for several months and it then appeared on my left hip. I also underwent a second brain surgery this past May to address complications from the radiation therapy in 2011. I am currently undergoing chemo and it appears to be working. My prayers and heart goes out to you as I understand how difficult this is and I am 35. Don't stop praying.

Jannah Delfin said...

I appreciate all of the information that you have shared. Thank you for the hard work!

brain tumor foundation